Amex today launched a brand new credit card in Australia, offering superior value and excellent earning rates.
As with most introductory offers, any applicants who have not held an American Express issued card in the last 12 months, and who spends at least $1,500 within the first 2 months will receive a generous 100,000 bonus points, equating to 75,000 miles with most airlines. That’s enough to take you from Australia to Hong Kong in the Singapore Airlines Suites!
The card also offers the following benefits:
- Earn up to 2 points per dollar spent (in the Gateway program)
- $400 travel credit every year (to spend through Amex travel)
- Smartphone screen insurance (also available on The Essentials Card)
- 2 annual entries to the American Express Airport Lounge
- Travel insurance for you, your partner and dependent children, covering
- Emergency medical expenses
- Travel cancellation
- Baggage, money and documents
- Travel inconvenience
- Extended warranty on purchases
- Refund protection when refused a refund
- Online fraud protection
When it comes to earning points, they are earned at a rate of 2 per $1, but credited to the “Gateway” program. This has a slightly less generous transfer rate when converting to airlines, so whilst the Premium Awards program provides a 1:1 transfer for many, the Gateway system provides 4:3. As such, every dollar you spend will net you 1.5 airline miles, which is still exception value, especially given the recent rate cuts.
Other important factors to consider include:
- $395 annual fee
- Australian resident aged 18 or over
- Pre-tax income of at least A$65,000
- No history of bad debt
This is quite a simple card offering great earn rates that are more or less uniform across all spending (except government agencies). However, The Platinum Edge card is certainly worth looking at, as it provides a few more benefits, however earns just 1 point per dollar spent on general expenses (yet up to 3 points per dollar for things like airlines and dining), which are credited to the Premium Awards program.
If you haven’t held an Amex card recently, take advantage of this offer now to make the most of the incredibly generous sign-up offer!